A perfectly level lawn is not only a sight that causes envy and pride, it is also quite useful. If you want to practice your golf swing, play a game of bocce, croquet, or football, and ensure your garden party guests are safe and impressed, a level lawn makes a big difference.
There are a number of important steps to take to get to a levelness that is worthy of bragging about. Besides the steps below, you may also want to download both the “Giving your Lawn the Home Field Advantage” e-book
1) First, take stock of what you have to work with. Just as though you were creating a work of art, you will want to look over every detail of your existing lawn and plan ahead for perfection.
2) If you see any uneven spots you will need to level them, otherwise you end up scalping your lawn in the high spots when you are mowing. You can rake out top soil and use a roller to level. More extreme cases may require digging out and re-sodding or laying new turf.
3) Fill holes and divots in the lawn with topsoil, pat down and re-seed. Make sure to keep the seed moist until it sprouts.
4) Choosing the correct species of grass is of major importance to the quality of your lawn and achieving a level cut. You want a tight growing pattern that will appear lush enough to be made level. Here in Georgia the best option for all conditions is Bermuda grass. It is disease resistant, grows in both warm and cool environments and can withstand a drought.
5) Once your lawn has been landscaped into place, the levelness of your lawn will come down to your maintenance routine. Regular maintenance using the correct fertilizers and irrigation for the type of grass you are growing and at the correct time of year, will ensure a thick and luscious lawn that can be made to look perfectly level.
6) Last but certainly not least is your mowing routine. This is where you will shape your lawn with razor-sharp precision. You will need to start with sharp blades on your mower. It is important to sharpen the blades often, which is at least twice per year. Spring and mid-summer are good times to do this. You will also need to cut your lawn often to maintain a height of about 3/4 of an inch and to ensure that it does not grow too high and make your cut look uneven. The most meticulously maintained lawns are mowed once or twice a day, but you can still achieve a perfectly level lawn by mowing 2 or 3 times a week.
With careful planning, problem solving and a good maintenance routine you will be enjoying a perfectly level lawn in no time!
How to Have NFL Turf at Home
Click Below to Download